Sunday, July 14, 2013

Students

She walked into the classroom for a private lesson with an air of independence beyond that of the usual high-schooler. All I knew was that she'd asked for some sessions to prepare for an upcoming trip to America...didn't know her English level, her trip details, or anything else. After 10 minutes of my introductory questions and her wide-eyed silences, I decided to jump into a lesson of basic introductions. We spoke haltingly, repeated many things several times, wrote notes of important phrases, role-played being a visitor and host, and ended with some laughter.

Language teaching is an interesting thing...4 hours were all we had together, but now I know about her family, school, likes and dislikes, fears of travel, hopes, etc. We practiced things like, "Can I take a bath instead of a shower?" and "I don't like raw onions." We giggled at silly mistakes that are bound to happen in language-learning, and I watched her dig deep one day after I admonished her to give an answer plus a comment, not just a short "Yes" or "No."

After our last lesson, she lingered in the entryway and finally just said an emphatic "Thank you!" I stood waving after her, wanting to tell her a hundred more things...to bring a jacket, because the air-conditioning in America is cold if you're not used to it...ask how big a large coffee is, before ordering it...don't be afraid of making mistakes...enjoy stepping into something new...know that whether you enjoy the new culture or not, you are allowed to have opinions...know that whether the trip feels successful or not, it has helped you grow.

Instead I just stood, feeling foolishly emotional, and prayed that God would teach her and take care of her. :) It's a gift to see glimpses into another person's heart...a gift to get to know the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment