Monday, May 14, 2012

Mountains


Every morning when we push back the curtains in our apartment we look out to see the mountains to the west of Fukushima City.  Mount Azuma Kofuji (pictured below) is an active volcano, with occasional plumes of steam rising up out of a vent in the mountainside.  Because of this, there are several onsen (Japanese Baths) spas on the mountain, using water from the hot volcanic springs to fill their baths.  This makes Mount Azuma Kofuji a very popular site for Japanese visitors. 

Mount Azuma Kofuji (and a view of the river near our apartment)
  
A plume of gas rising up from the mountain (picture taken last summer)


We've actually driven past the volcano crater several times.  Last July when I was visiting Haidee, we hiked up to the crater and looked inside!  (no, there's no bubbling lava or anything like that, but there's a great view of Fukushima City)

Haidee and me at the top of the volcanic crater (it was very windy)


A view of Fukushima City from the top


Mount Azuma Kofuji is also well know for the famous "Snow Rabbit" that appears every Spring as the snow is melting.  The farmers call it the "Seeding Rabbit" and use its appearance to mark the time when they should sow their fields in the Spring.  Apparently, if you wait to plant until you see the Snow Rabbit, there's a much lower risk of frost.  Nomura Sensei, our pastor, told me all about the snow rabbit during my first visit to Fukushima in Nov. 2010.  Ever since then I was also hoping to see it myself.  Last year Haidee sent me a picture, but I couldn't find the rabbit.  Can you?  Look at the picture below.




A couple weeks ago, during an exceptionally clear day (usually there are plenty of clouds and rain this time of year) we were walking to church when Cindy pointed out the rabbit on the mountainside.  I looked up and, lo and behold, there it was!  The remaining snow on the mountain really does take the shape of a rabbit!  Now, every time I have a clear view of the mountain, I look for the rabbit.  I wonder how long it will take before it melts completely . . . .


If you're really interested in more detailed information about the history of the Snow Rabbit on Aizuka Kofuji mountain, you could read this 10 page research paper that I found online.  (No, I didn't actually read it myself. . . . but maybe you have lots of time on your hands).  The title (obviously a translation from Japanese):  "The meaning of watching the snow shape of rabbit on the mountainside of Azuma-kofuji:  Just a snow, but it means something."  =)

The "Snow Rabbit"

No comments:

Post a Comment